What should I know about taking calcium carbonate?

Calcium carbonate (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums) is an over-the-counter antacid that can affect how well other medications work, so you should take it at least one or two hours before or after you take another drug.

Calcium carbonate is also sometimes prescribed as a nutritional supplement for people who aren't getting enough calcium in their diet. Before you take calcium carbonate, tell your doctor about any allergies you may have to calcium carbonate or any other medications. Also tell your doctor about all prescriptions and over-the-counter medications and vitamins and herbal products you take. Be especially sure to mention if you take digoxin (Lanoxin), etidronate (Didronel), phenytoin (Dilantin) or tetracycline (Sumycin).

Tell your doctor if you have a history of kidney disease or stomach conditions or if you're pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Let your doctor know if you become pregnant while using calcium carbonate.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
More Answers
Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...
More Answers
Who should not take antacids?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Certain medical conditions and medications may cause complications with your dose of antacids or...
More Answers
What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.