What should I know about taking calcium carbonate?

Calcium carbonate (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums) is an over-the-counter antacid that can affect how well other medications work, so you should take it at least one or two hours before or after you take another drug.

Calcium carbonate is also sometimes prescribed as a nutritional supplement for people who aren't getting enough calcium in their diet. Before you take calcium carbonate, tell your doctor about any allergies you may have to calcium carbonate or any other medications. Also tell your doctor about all prescriptions and over-the-counter medications and vitamins and herbal products you take. Be especially sure to mention if you take digoxin (Lanoxin), etidronate (Didronel), phenytoin (Dilantin) or tetracycline (Sumycin).

Tell your doctor if you have a history of kidney disease or stomach conditions or if you're pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding. Let your doctor know if you become pregnant while using calcium carbonate.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What should I avoid while taking antacids?
Until you know how you will react to antacids, you should not drive or operate heavy machinery. Cert...
Is it OK to take antacids daily to treat acid reflux?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
It's okay to take antacids every day; However, patients with prolonged symptoms should see a doctor ...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?