What is ranitidine bismuth citrate?

Ranitidine bismuth citrate is no longer available in the United States.

Ranitidine bismuth citrate is a combination prescription medication that decreases levels of stomach acid. It is also used in combination with an antibiotic, Biaxin, to treat Helicobacter pylori, a bacterial infection that causes stomach ulcers. Ranitidine bismuth citrate consists of ranitidine - a histamine receptor antagonist, bismuth - a mild antibiotic, and citrate - a form of salt. It is also known by the brand name Tritec. As of 1998, ranitidine bismuth citrate was no longer for sale in the United States.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What is an antacid?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Antacids are inexpensive over-the-counter remedies that neutralize digestive acids in the stomach an...
When should I take antacids?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Over-the-counter antacids are still the fastest way to speed relief for indigestion, and a quick...
Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?