What is ranitidine bismuth citrate?

Ranitidine bismuth citrate is no longer available in the United States.

Ranitidine bismuth citrate is a combination prescription medication that decreases levels of stomach acid. It is also used in combination with an antibiotic, Biaxin, to treat Helicobacter pylori, a bacterial infection that causes stomach ulcers. Ranitidine bismuth citrate consists of ranitidine - a histamine receptor antagonist, bismuth - a mild antibiotic, and citrate - a form of salt. It is also known by the brand name Tritec. As of 1998, ranitidine bismuth citrate was no longer for sale in the United States.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
Do antacids interact with other medications?
Certain medications may cause complications when taken with antacids or acid reducers, particula...
Do antacids have any side effects?
Side effects of aluminum antacids may include constipation. Side effects of magnesium antacids may i...