What is Helidac Therapy?

Helidac Therapy is a combination pack of medications that together treat peptic ulcers -- ulcers in your stomach or intestine. Each dose of Helidac Therapy consists of four pills: two chewable tablets of the antimicrobial drug bismuth subsalicylate (the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol), one tablet of the antibiotic metronidazole and one capsule of the antibiotic tetracycline.

Helidac Therapy is prescribed in two-week courses, with four doses (16 pills total) each day. It is in a class of drugs known as antibacterial agents. It is prescribed along with other ulcer medications, such as H2-receptor antagonists, to stop the growth of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria -- the bacteria that cause most ulcers -- and to keep the infection from coming back.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What’s the difference between cimetidine and an antacid?
Cimetidine is in a group of medications called histamine type-2-receptor antagonists that block ...
Is it OK to take antacids daily to treat acid reflux?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
It's okay to take antacids every day; However, patients with prolonged symptoms should see a doctor ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?