What is Helidac Therapy?

Helidac Therapy is a combination pack of medications that together treat peptic ulcers -- ulcers in your stomach or intestine. Each dose of Helidac Therapy consists of four pills: two chewable tablets of the antimicrobial drug bismuth subsalicylate (the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol), one tablet of the antibiotic metronidazole and one capsule of the antibiotic tetracycline.

Helidac Therapy is prescribed in two-week courses, with four doses (16 pills total) each day. It is in a class of drugs known as antibacterial agents. It is prescribed along with other ulcer medications, such as H2-receptor antagonists, to stop the growth of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria -- the bacteria that cause most ulcers -- and to keep the infection from coming back.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...
How should I take antacids?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of antacids, there are many different way...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?