What is calcium carbonate?

Calcium carbonate is a mineral that can be found in over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements. It can be taken to treat a deficiency of calcium in the body, which can result in certain medical conditions such as osteoporosis. Calcium carbonate is also an ingredient in some antacids used for relief from an upset stomach, heartburn, or indigestion. It can also be used to rid the body of certain minerals, such as phosphate, which bind to it. The body needs calcium in order to maintain healthy bones, the heart, muscles, and nervous system. Common brand names of calcium carbonate products are Alka-Mints and Tums.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Who should not take antacids?
Certain medical conditions and medications may cause complications with your dose of antacids or...
What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?