What is bismuth subsalicylate?

Bismuth subsalicylate is a type of antidiarrheal medication that helps to treat diarrhea, heartburn and upset stomach. It can be used in both adults and children. It helps to treat diarrhea by slowing the movements of fluids and electrolytes into the intestines. It also helps to decrease inflammation in the intestine and kills organisms that cause diarrhea.

Bismuth subsalicylate is available as a liquid, tablet or chewable tablet. Bismuth subsalicylate brand names include: Kaopectate, Maalox Total Relief,and Pepto-Bismol.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Do antacids have any side effects?
Side effects of aluminum antacids may include constipation. Side effects of magnesium antacids may i...
What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...