What is bismuth subsalicylate?

Bismuth subsalicylate is a type of antidiarrheal medication that helps to treat diarrhea, heartburn and upset stomach. It can be used in both adults and children. It helps to treat diarrhea by slowing the movements of fluids and electrolytes into the intestines. It also helps to decrease inflammation in the intestine and kills organisms that cause diarrhea.

Bismuth subsalicylate is available as a liquid, tablet or chewable tablet. Bismuth subsalicylate brand names include: Kaopectate, Maalox Total Relief,and Pepto-Bismol.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What is an antacid?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Antacids neutralize acid in the stomach. They act quickly and for a short period of time. This makes...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?