What is an antacid?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Antacids neutralize acid in the stomach. They act quickly and for a short period of time. This makes them useful for as-needed treatment of mild acid reflux symptoms such as occasional heartburn. Antacids are generally available without a prescription. They are less effective than proton pump inhibitors, and are not meant for long-term continuous treatment of GERD. They do not heal damage to the esophagus that has been caused by acid.

A number of compounds and combinations are used as antacids. The most common ingredients are aluminum, magnesium, calcium carbonate, and sodium bicarbonate. Combinations of aluminum and magnesium are found in many products, such as Gaviscon, Maalox, Di-Gel, and Mygel. Calcium carbonate and magnesium are combined in products such as Rolaids and Mylanta. Sodium bicarbonate is an active ingredient in Alka-Seltzer. Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in Tums. A chemical called alginate, which is derived from seaweed, is combined with an antacid in some products, such as certain formulations of Gaviscon. Alginate reacts with stomach acid to form a barrier that helps prevent the reflux of acid from the stomach into the lower esophagus. The combination of an antacid and alginate appears to prevent reflux more consistently than an antacid alone.

You should see your doctor if you are needing to take antacids frequently or if your symptoms do not improve with antacids. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Do antacids have any side effects?
Side effects of aluminum antacids may include constipation. Side effects of magnesium antacids may i...
Is it OK to take antacids daily to treat acid reflux?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Some people with acid reflux get into the habit of taking over-the-counter antacids daily to prevent...
Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...