What if I forget to take a dose of calcium carbonate?

If you're taking the antacid calcium carbonate (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums) on a regular schedule and you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose on schedule. Never take a double dose of calcium carbonate to make up for a missed dose.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Who should not take antacids?
Certain medical conditions and medications may cause complications with your dose of antacids or...
What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
What is an antacid?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Antacids neutralize acid in the stomach. They act quickly and for a short period of time. This makes...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?