Can I use Helidac Therapy if I am breastfeeding?

Helidac Therapy, a combination of drugs used to treat peptic ulcers, is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding. The antibiotics in the combo, metronidazole and tetracycline, both pass into breast milk. Animal studies suggest that metronidazole might cause tumors in nursing infants; tetracycline can cause damage to a baby's developing teeth.

If you develop a peptic ulcer while breastfeeding, you and your doctor should decide together whether you should discontinue breastfeeding in order to start Helidac Therapy.

Continue Learning about Antacid

How do antacids relieve heartburn?
Antacids help to minimize the symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux by neutralizing the acidity ...
What is an antacid?
Antacids neutralize acid in the stomach. They act quickly and for a short period of time. This makes...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...