Should I take an antacid with calcium?

Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitamin D and stomach acid. For this reason, it's important to avoid chronic use of antacids, H2-blockers, or proton pump inhibitors, which block or suppress the secretion of stomach acid.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Antacid

What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
When should I take antacids?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Over-the-counter antacids are still the fastest way to speed relief for indigestion, and a quick...
What is an antacid?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Antacids are inexpensive over-the-counter remedies that neutralize digestive acids in the stomach an...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?