Should I take an antacid with calcium?

Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitamin D and stomach acid. For this reason, it's important to avoid chronic use of antacids, H2-blockers, or proton pump inhibitors, which block or suppress the secretion of stomach acid.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Antacid

What is an antacid?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Antacids are inexpensive over-the-counter remedies that neutralize digestive acids in the stomach an...
Do antacids have any side effects?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of aluminum antacids may include constipation. Side effects of magnesium antacids may i...
How should I take antacids?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of antacids, there are many different way...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?