How do antacids relieve heartburn?

Keri Peterson, MD

If that pepperoni pizza you had for dinner doesn't agree with you, you probably have a low-risk remedy in your cupboard already. To learn how antacids relieve heartburn, watch this video featuring internal medicine specialist and Dr. Oz Show guest Keri Peterson.

Antacids help to minimize the symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux by neutralizing the acidity in your stomach. They usually give you quick, short-term relief and are often the first medicine recommended for heartburn. Many over-the-counter medications are combinations of several different antacids.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How should I take antacids?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of antacids, there are many different way...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?