What should I know about Helidac before taking it?

Helidac is a kit containing a 14-day supply of bismuth subsalicylate chewable tablets, metronidazole tablets and tetracycline capsules. You should let your doctor know if you have any of the following conditions before taking bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline: Crohn's disease; a blood, liver or kidney disorder; epilepsy or seizures; or an aspirin allergy. You should not consume dairy products, antacids, laxatives, iron supplements or multivitamins within two hours of taking bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline. Alcohol may interact with metronidazole to cause side effects, such as headaches, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and sudden feelings of warmth. Do not drink alcohol while using bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline and for one day after you stop taking the medication. Tetracycline can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use of sunscreen, extra clothing and other measures to limit your exposure to the sun is recommended. Tetracycline can make oral contraceptives less effective. Women using bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline are encouraged to use a second form of birth control to avoid pregnancy. Bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline cause birth defects and should not be used by pregnant or breast-feeding women. Children and adolescents should not use bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole and tetracycline.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What is an antacid?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Antacids are inexpensive over-the-counter remedies that neutralize digestive acids in the stomach an...
What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
What should I avoid while taking antacids?
Until you know how you will react to antacids, you should not drive or operate heavy machinery. Cert...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?