How does bismuth subsalicylate relieve diarrhea?

Bismuth subsalicylate is a type of antidiarrheal medication that helps to treat diarrhea, heartburn and upset stomach. It can be used in both adults and children. It helps to treat diarrhea by slowing the movements of fluids and electrolytes into the intestines. It also helps to decrease inflammation in the intestine and kills organisms that cause diarrhea. Bismuth subsalicylate is available as a liquid, tablet or chewable tablet.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
When should I take antacids?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Over-the-counter antacids are still the fastest way to speed relief for indigestion, and a quick...
What is an antacid?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Antacids neutralize acid in the stomach. They act quickly and for a short period of time. This makes...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?