What is toxic anoxia?

Toxic anoxia, also called histotoxic or cytotoxic anoxia, is a kind of traumatic brain injury. It happens when a chemical or other toxic substance completely stops the brain from being able to absorb oxygen, even when oxygen is readily available in the bloodstream. Within just a few minutes of being without oxygen, the brain starts to shut down. This causes a domino effect of problems that then begin to affect the entire body.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...