What is stagnant anoxia?

Stagnant anoxia is a condition in which a person's organs or tissues are severely deprived of oxygen. The condition is sometimes called oxygen starvation or stagnant hypoxia. However, the term hypoxia signifies that the oxygen flow has been partially cut off, while anoxia signals that there is a total or near-total lack of oxygen. There are several kinds of anoxia/hypoxia. When stagnant anoxia occurs, it means that a person's blood contains oxygen, but the flow of this oxygen-rich blood to particular tissues or organs is being severely restricted.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...