What is an anoxic brain injury?

An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow can cause your brain cells to die within five minutes, and it can also cause your brain to stop performing important biochemical functions. When your brain is deprived of oxygen for a long time, seizures, coma, or brain death can occur. Some common causes of an anoxic brain injury include head trauma, general anesthesia accidents, and cardiac arrest.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...