What is anoxic anoxia?

An anoxic brain injury occurs when brain cells die because no oxygen is being supplied to the brain. Because oxygen is necessary for the brain to function properly, not getting enough oxygen to the brain for several minutes can cause severe brain damage. Anoxic brain injuries differ in severity, but all can have potentially serious consequences.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...