What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?

If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 to get medical help immediately. An anoxic brain injury is a medical emergency. The underlying cause of the anoxic brain injury needs be treated, and any necessary life-support systems - such as mechanical ventilation - need to be established.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...