How do persistent vegetative states relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?

In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. When people come out of a coma, in many cases they will remain in a persistent vegetative state. In this state, some functions of the brain continue, but the person is not conscious. Some doctors think that recovery is not possible if a person is in a vegetative state for longer than three months.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...