What are the treatment options for stagnant anoxia?

The treatment options for stagnant anoxia depend on what caused the reduction in oxygen in the first place. However, treatment usually begins with putting a person on 100% oxygen. After that, such life support systems as mechanical ventilation, blood pressure medications, and supplemental fluids may be required. In mere minutes, your brain and/or heart can begin to die due to oxygen deprivation. Because of this, stagnant anoxia should always be considered a medical emergency.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...