Can stagnant anoxia have any complications?

Stagnant anoxia can have serious complications. The brain in particular is extremely sensitive to lack of oxygen. If the oxygen supply is cut off from the brain or heart for even a few minutes, these vital organs can begin to die. Stagnant anoxia can also lead to seizures, brain damage, and an inability to control motor functions.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...