What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the brain, however, will become damaged more quickly than others. These include the hippocampus, which affects memory; the cerebral cortex, which is the gray matter that surrounds the surface of the brain; the basal ganglia, a part of your brain involved in movement control; the occipital-parietal cortex, which is involved in sight; and the Purkinje cells in the cerebellum, which are cells in the part of your brain that controls movement and some aspects of speech.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...