Why is short-term memory loss so common after an anoxic brain injury?

After an anoxic brain injury, people can experience problems with their short-term memory. In fact, of the host of cognitive problems that can result from an anoxic brain injury, short-term memory loss is the most common. This is because the hippocampus, the part of your brain that helps you form and store new memories, is extremely vulnerable to the oxygen deprivation that causes an anoxic brain injury.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...