How do medications treat stagnant anoxia?

Medications are not generally used as an initial treatment for stagnant anoxia. However, they can be used for secondary treatment, depending on the cause of the condition. Because stagnant anoxia results in oxygen deprivation to your tissues or organs, the first step in treatment is a steady supply of pure oxygen. After that, medications are administered if necessary to help control your blood pressure and heart rate. They can also be used to control seizures. In addition, medical antidotes are given if some type of poisoning caused the stagnant anoxia.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...