How do medications treat anoxic brain injuries?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Medications have a limited role in the treatment of anoxic brain injuries. Some research indicates that administering barbiturates - which reduce activity in the brain - may be beneficial during the first few days following the injury. Since the risk of seizures may be high, anti-seizure medications may also be given.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...