Is an anoxic brain injury serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is deprived of oxygen. People with this injury often lose consciousness. Within five minutes of oxygen deprivation, brain cells can start to die. Prolonged oxygen deprivation can lead to brain death, coma, and in some cases, death. Even if the person does regain consciousness again, they may experience life-changing cognitive, physical, and emotional symptoms.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...