What increases my risk for stagnant anoxia?

Heart disease, asthma, and emphysema all increase your risk for stagnant anoxia. There is a risk of stagnant anoxia with any surgical procedure that requires general anesthesia. People who travel to high altitudes or are exposed to extremely cold temperatures also run a greater risk of this condition. Although stagnant anoxia is not common, it can occur at any age.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...