How do medications treat toxic anoxia?

Although medication is generally not the primary treatment for toxic anoxia, it is important in some cases. Medication used to treat toxic anoxia works by stabilizing the brain or by reversing the chemical problem that caused the condition. Barbiturates may be given to relax and slow the brain's activity level, thereby allowing the brain to repair itself. More importantly, medications may be used as antidotes for the common poisons that cause toxic anoxia. The type of antidote use obviously depends on the type of chemical ingested or inhaled, but they all work to counteract the effects of specific toxins affecting the brain.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...