How is stagnant anoxia diagnosed?

Stagnant anoxia can generally be diagnosed through clinical observation. Doctors look for such symptoms as a blue discoloration of a person's lips, skin, and/or nails, shortness of breath, or confusion. If a person is unconscious, this is another warning sign. There are also several tests that can be performed to try to pinpoint stagnant anoxia. Pulse oximetry can monitor the oxygen levels in a person's blood and lactic acid tests can determine whether tissues are receiving enough oxygen.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...