How is an anoxic brain injury diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Your doctor can diagnose an anoxic brain injury by assessing your medical history and performing a physical examination. Tests will be run to determine the cause of your anoxic brain injury. These may include an echocardiogram and an electrocardiogram to look for heart problems. An electroencephalogram, evoked potentials, and MRI can be used to check brain activity and look for brain injury. Your doctor may also order blood work to look for blood gases and to check your blood sugar level.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...