Is there a cure for an anoxic brain injury?

There is no cure for an anoxic brain injury. Initially, the condition that caused the anoxic brain injury - like cardiac arrest, for example - can be treated. Any necessary life-support systems, such as mechanical ventilation, are also put into place. While these measures won't cure the anoxic brain injury, they can help to stabilize the body. Some research indicates that barbiturates - which reduce activity in the brain - may be beneficial during the first few days after the injury.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...