How common is stagnant anoxia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Stagnant anoxia is not very common. However, it can occur at any stage of life, in any population around the world. Babies are at highest risk of anoxia during the birthing process. Choking, suffocation, and drowning accidents all create risk of anoxia for toddlers and young children. Adults are most likely to experience anoxia due to poisoning or accidents. The elderly typically experience stagnant anoxia as a result of cardiovascular disease or other ailments.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...