How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?

In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a person is comatose, the higher the chance of a successful recovery. Some research suggests that if coma length is under 12 hours, there is only a small chance of long-term damage.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What parts of the brain are most vulnerable to anoxic brain injury?
The brain damage that occurs from an anoxic brain injury affects the whole brain. Some areas of the ...
What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
Is an anoxic brain injury serious?
An anoxic brain injury is a serious and possibly life-threatening injury in which the brain is depri...