Can high altitudes lead to an anoxic brain injury?

Anoxic brain injuries occur when your brain is deprived of oxygen. One way this can occur is if the air that you're breathing lacks the appropriate level of oxygen to be utilized by your body. This can take place in high altitudes where the air is thin, but it very rarely occurs elsewhere.

Continue Learning about Anoxic Brain Injuries

What should I do if I suspect someone has had an anoxic brain injury?
If someone is losing consciousness or you suspect that they've had an anoxic brain injury, call 911 ...
How does the length of a coma relate to anoxic brain injury outcomes?
In some cases, anoxic brain injuries can cause people to go into comas. Generally, the less time a p...
How do other illnesses affect anoxic brain injuries?
Cardiovascular disease and strokes can affect anoxic brain injuries by putting you at higher risk fo...
What is an anoxic brain injury?
An anoxic brain injury occurs when your brain stops receiving oxygen. This disruption of oxygen flow...