Which medicines may be used to treat anorexia nervosa?

Unfortunately there are no medications specifically indicated for treatment of anorexia nervosa. Medications may be used to treat complications of anorexia or in conjunction with therapy if there is evidence that the patient has depression or anxiety in addition to anorexia. For some patients who have been able to regain weight, the antidepressant fluoxetine (Prozac) has been shown to be helpful.

Continue Learning about Anorexia Nervosa

If I have had anorexia in the past can I still get pregnant?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
A woman with active anorexia nervosa does not usually get her period, meaning she does not ovulate. ...
What is the Pro-Ana movement for people with anorexia?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
The Pro-Ana movement is an underground cyberworld full of “thinspiration” -- motivational tactic...
When should I call my doctor if I have anorexia nervosa?
If you have anorexia nervosa and you are concerned about when to call your doctor, you may already b...
What can I do if someone I know is showing signs of anorexia?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If someone you know is showing signs of anorexia, you may be able to help.Set a time to talk. Set as...