How is anorexia nervosa diagnosed?

Parents, family members, spouses, teachers, coaches, and instructors may be able to identify an individual with anorexia, although many persons with the disorder initially keep their illness very private and hidden. A detailed history of the individual's behavior from family, parents, and teachers, clinical observations of the person's behavior, and, sometimes, psychological testing contribute to the diagnosis. Family members who note symptoms of anorexia in a loved one can help by seeking an evaluation and treatment early. Early treatment can often prevent future problems.
Anorexia, and the malnutrition that results, can adversely affect nearly every organ system in the body, increasing the importance of early diagnosis and treatment. Anorexia can be fatal. Consult your physician for more information.

Continue Learning about Anorexia Nervosa

What can I do if someone I know is showing signs of anorexia?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If someone you know is showing signs of anorexia, you may be able to help.Set a time to talk. Set as...
Can I get better if I have anorexia?
Yes, you can defintely get better if you suffer from anorexia nervosa. Therapists, doctors, and nutr...
Can Women with Anorexia Be Saved?
Can Women with Anorexia Be Saved?
What Does Anorexia Do to the Body?
What Does Anorexia Do to the Body?