Can anorexia nervosa be prevented?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
There is no known prevention for anorexia nervosa. Primary care physicians can monitor early warning signs and ask diagnostic questions to determine a need for early intervention. Programs focusing on media literacy and interactive discussion have been successful in reducing eating disorder risk factors.

Preventive measures to reduce the incidence of anorexia are not known at this time. However, early detection and intervention can reduce the severity of symptoms, enhance the individual's normal growth and development, and improve the quality of life experienced by persons with anorexia nervosa. Encouraging healthy eating habits and realistic attitudes toward weight and diet may also be helpful.

Continue Learning about Anorexia Nervosa

What is anorexia nervosa?
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder in which preoccupation with dieting and thinness leads to exc...
When should I call my doctor if I have anorexia nervosa?
If you have anorexia nervosa and you are concerned about when to call your doctor, you may already b...
Can Excessive Juice Cleansing Lead to an Eating Disorder?
What Does Anorexia Do to the Body?
What Does Anorexia Do to the Body?