When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?

If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the following symptoms, immediately call an ambulance to get to the nearest hospital or clinic. Rescue workers can treat you on the way to the hospital. This may decrease your risk of permanent heart damage, and may even save your life.

• Never drive yourself to the hospital or clinic.
  • Do not ignore chest pain.
Call 9-1-1 or 0 (operator) for help if:
  • You are having new or worsening chest pain, or new pain that wakes you from sleep.
  • You are sweating, nauseated, or are having trouble breathing.
  • You have chest pain that lasts longer than 15 to 20 minutes, even after you rest.
  • Your chest pain does not go away after taking your nitroglycerin or other chest-pain medicine as directed.
  • You faint (pass out), feel like you may faint or feel dizzy.
  • You lose feeling in your face, arms or legs or suddenly feel weak.
  • You suddenly have trouble seeing or speaking.

Continue Learning about Angina

What triggers angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Common angina triggers include: Walking briskly outside on a cold, windy, or humid dayHurrying wit...
Is angina serious?
Angina can be serious. Stable angina, if untreated, can lead to more serious problems. Unstable angi...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
How can I prevent angina?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...