When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?

If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the following symptoms, immediately call an ambulance to get to the nearest hospital or clinic. Rescue workers can treat you on the way to the hospital. This may decrease your risk of permanent heart damage, and may even save your life.

• Never drive yourself to the hospital or clinic.
  • Do not ignore chest pain.
Call 9-1-1 or 0 (operator) for help if:
  • You are having new or worsening chest pain, or new pain that wakes you from sleep.
  • You are sweating, nauseated, or are having trouble breathing.
  • You have chest pain that lasts longer than 15 to 20 minutes, even after you rest.
  • Your chest pain does not go away after taking your nitroglycerin or other chest-pain medicine as directed.
  • You faint (pass out), feel like you may faint or feel dizzy.
  • You lose feeling in your face, arms or legs or suddenly feel weak.
  • You suddenly have trouble seeing or speaking.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How does high blood pressure affect the heart?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), you have an increased chance for atrial...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?