What tests might I have to determine if I have angina?

Angina is a clinical diagnosis that is made when a person describes typical symptoms of chest discomfort (although it may be also in the jaw, arms or upper back) that are precipitated by exertion, emotion, or stress and are relieved in 10-30 minutes with rest or with medication like nitroglycerin.

Angina indicates that a blood vessel, the coronary artery, may be blocked reducing blood flow to the heart muscle and may be the harbinger of a heart attack or myocardial infarction.

Angina is diagnosed clinically. However, tests to diagnose potential blocked coronary arteries include an exercise stress test with or without imaging techniques like echocardiography, CT imaging, or nuclear imaging. Additionally, more invasive tests like cardiac catheterization (or "heart cath") may be used.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What is a silent angina attack?
A special problem happens when coronary heart disease is present but does not cause any chest discom...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?