What tests might I have to determine if I have angina?

Angina is a clinical diagnosis that is made when a person describes typical symptoms of chest discomfort (although it may be also in the jaw, arms or upper back) that are precipitated by exertion, emotion, or stress and are relieved in 10-30 minutes with rest or with medication like nitroglycerin.

Angina indicates that a blood vessel, the coronary artery, may be blocked reducing blood flow to the heart muscle and may be the harbinger of a heart attack or myocardial infarction.

Angina is diagnosed clinically. However, tests to diagnose potential blocked coronary arteries include an exercise stress test with or without imaging techniques like echocardiography, CT imaging, or nuclear imaging. Additionally, more invasive tests like cardiac catheterization (or "heart cath") may be used.

Continue Learning about Angina

how can i prevent angina ?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...
what causes angina ?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...
what is angina ?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
what are the types of angina ?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The most common types of angina are stable angina and unstable angina. A rare type of angina is call...