What are the symptoms of variant angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The main symptom of variant angina is sudden or unusual chest pain or pressure. Unlike stable angina, which occurs when you are doing physical activity, the pain of variant angina is more likely to occur while you are at rest. It may or may not go away when you take angina medication. Symptoms may also be more severe than that of stable angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
What is angina?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
What is a silent angina attack?
A special problem happens when coronary heart disease is present but does not cause any chest discom...