What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?

If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency medical attention right away. Unlike stable angina, unstable angina will not often go away on its own and is very likely to lead to a heart attack if untreated. Variant angina may also lead to a heart attack. In addition, the symptoms of angina and a heart attack are very similar. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately.

If possible, you may chew an aspirin. If you are having angina, the aspirin may help you avoid a heart attack. If you are having a heart attack, the aspirin may help you survive the heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How does high blood pressure affect the heart?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), you have an increased chance for atrial...
Is angina serious?
There are two kinds of angina: stable and unstable. They have different symptoms and unlike stable ...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?