What increases my risk for unstable angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Since unstable angina is often associated with coronary artery disease, anything that increases your risk for CAD increases your risk of angina. Risk factors include cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and high cholesterol. If you have a family member with CAD, this also increases your risk. In addition, as you age your risk increases.

Picture of angina cause

Continue Learning about Angina

What are the types of angina?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The most common types of angina are stable angina and unstable angina. A rare type of angina is call...
Is angina serious?
Angina can be serious. Stable angina, if untreated, can lead to more serious problems. Unstable angi...
How can I prevent angina?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...