What increases my risk for angina?

Lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet are two factors you can control that contribute to the development of angina, the squeezing chest pain. In this video, Dr. Oz explains these risk factors.

Since angina is often associated with coronary artery disease, anything that increases your risk for CAD increases your risk of angina. Risk factors include cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, stress, and lack of exercise. If you have a family member with CAD, this also increases your risk. In addition, as you age your risk increases.

Variant angina, caused by a coronary artery spasm, is also associated with cocaine and nicotine use, so drug use and smoking increase your risk with or without coronary artery disease. Lupus, certain birth defects, and radiation therapy may also increase your risk for this rare type of angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What are the types of angina?
Jack E. Dawson Jr., MDJack E. Dawson Jr., MD
Angina may present during exertion, emotional upsets, at rest and in the night. It may occur shortly...
How can I prevent angina?
Yolanda Y. Hendley, MDYolanda Y. Hendley, MD
Lifestyle choices can decrease angina symptoms and reduce your heart risks. Within weeks, you could ...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?