What increases my risk for angina?

Since angina is often associated with coronary artery disease, anything that increases your risk for CAD increases your risk of angina. Risk factors include cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, stress, and lack of exercise. If you have a family member with CAD, this also increases your risk. In addition, as you age your risk increases.

Variant angina, caused by a coronary artery spasm, is also associated with cocaine and nicotine use, so drug use and smoking increase your risk with or without coronary artery disease. Lupus, certain birth defects, and radiation therapy may also increase your risk for this rare type of angina.

Lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet are two factors you can control that contribute to the development of angina, the squeezing chest pain. In this video, Dr. Oz explains these risk factors.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What is the difference between stable and unstable angina?
SCAISCAI
Your doctor may describe your chest pain as "unstable" or "stable" angina.  Unstable Angina With un...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?