What should I do if I think I have unstable angina?

If you think you are having unstable angina, you need to seek emergency medical attention right away. Unlike stable angina, unstable angina will not often go away on its own and is very likely to lead to a heart attack if untreated. In addition, the symptoms of unstable angina and a heart attack are very similar. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately.

If possible, you may chew an aspirin. If you are having unstable angina, the aspirin may help you avoid a heart attack. If you are having a heart attack, the aspirin may help you survive the heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
What is angina?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?