What should I do if I think I have unstable angina?

If you think you are having unstable angina, you need to seek emergency medical attention right away. Unlike stable angina, unstable angina will not often go away on its own and is very likely to lead to a heart attack if untreated. In addition, the symptoms of unstable angina and a heart attack are very similar. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately.

If possible, you may chew an aspirin. If you are having unstable angina, the aspirin may help you avoid a heart attack. If you are having a heart attack, the aspirin may help you survive the heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?