What should I do if I think I have unstable angina?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you think you are having unstable angina, you need to seek emergency medical attention right away. Unlike stable angina, unstable angina will not often go away on its own and is very likely to lead to a heart attack if untreated. In addition, the symptoms of unstable angina and a heart attack are very similar. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately.

If possible, you may chew an aspirin. If you are having unstable angina, the aspirin may help you avoid a heart attack. If you are having a heart attack, the aspirin may help you survive the heart attack.

Continue Learning about Angina

what is angina ?
Angina refers to chest pain produced when blood flow to the heart is low. When blood flow is low, th...
when should i seek immediate help if i have angina ?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
what is a silent angina attack ?
A special problem happens when coronary heart disease is present but does not cause any chest discom...
how common is angina ?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...