What causes stable angina?

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arteries that supply the heart with blood narrow. This makes it much harder for blood to carry oxygen to the heart, and as a result, there are times when the heart does not get the oxygen it needs. Stable angina often occurs at times when the heart needs a greater amount of oxygen, such as during physical activity. Narrow arteries just cannot allow enough blood to flow to meet the higher demand.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
How does high blood pressure affect the heart?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension), you have an increased chance for atrial...
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?
Could Your Chest Pain Be Angina?