What are the treatment options for stable angina?

Treatment options for stable angina include medications, surgery, and changes in behavior. The main purpose of treatment is to avoid heart attacks. Behavioral changes that help avoid a heart attack include quitting smoking, losing weight, and eating nutritious food. Avoiding overexertion and overeating can also help. If these behavioral steps are not enough, your doctor may include medications in your treatment plan. You may need to take one or a combination of mediations such as aspirin, statins, and beta blockers. Surgical options include angioplasty, in which an artery is widened and a stent inserted to keep it open, or coronary bypass surgery.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
When should I seek immediate help if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, never drive a vehicle when you are having chest pain! If you have any of the fol...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?