How does unstable angina affect men and women differently?

Men become at greater risk of unstable angina at a younger age than women. Unstable angina usually occurs in men over 45 and women over 55. In addition, the pain of unstable angina may be much different in women than it is in men. Women may feel the pain as a burning or sharp pain rather than pressure or tightness. Women may feel dizzy and short of breath, which these symptoms are less common in men. Women may also feel the pain in the back, jaw, or abdomen, while in men the pain may tend to stay near the middle of the chest.

Continue Learning about Angina

Understanding Chest Pain (Angina Pectoris)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What causes angina?
Coronary artery disease (CAD) is frequently the cause of angina. In coronary artery disease, arterie...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?