What are the symptoms of unstable angina?

Symptoms of unstable angina can range from no symptoms to chest pain, shortness of breath, sweating, nausea, or any worsening of your prior symptoms that include symptoms occurring at rest. Women and the elderly can have atypical and nonspecific symptoms including just nausea or feeling weaker. If you are experiencing or are concerned about having symptoms of unstable angina, you should see you doctor to discuss medical options.

The main symptom of unstable angina is sudden or unusual chest pain or pressure. In people who have a pattern of stable angina, any pain that varies from the pattern is unstable angina. The pain often continues for a longer time than that of stable angina, and you cannot get it to go away simply by resting or taking angina medication. Symptoms may also include pain in the arms or back, shortness of breath, and nausea.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
What should I do if I think I have unstable or variant angina?
If you think you are having an episode of unstable or variant angina, you need to seek emergency med...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?