What should I do if I think I have variant angina?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you think you are having variant angina, or any other unusual chest pain, you may need to seek emergency medical attention. Unlike stable angina, variant angina can occur while you are at rest. In addition, the symptoms of variant angina and a heart attack are similar, and a coronary artery spasm can lead to heart attack. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately.

Continue Learning about Angina

How can warming up help prevent exercise-induced angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A fascinating occurrence called the "warm-up phenomenon" has puzzled doctors for decades. In the...
How common is angina?
Angina is fairly common. About 350,000 people are diagnosed with angina each year in the United Stat...
How can I prevent angina?
You are in control of many of the factors that increase your risk of coronary artery disease and ang...
What is a silent angina attack?
A special problem happens when coronary heart disease is present but does not cause any chest discom...