How do other illnesses affect variant angina?

High blood pressure increases the risk of variant angina because it can harm arteries. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina. Illnesses that increase the risk of variant angina caused by coronary artery spasm include lupus, arteritis, or Kawasaki disease.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What are the types of angina?
Jack E. Dawson Jr., MDJack E. Dawson Jr., MD
Angina may present during exertion, emotional upsets, at rest and in the night. It may occur shortly...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
What Is Stable Angina?
What Is Stable Angina?