How do other illnesses affect unstable angina?

Unstable angina is often caused by coronary artery disease. High blood pressure increases the risk of coronary artery disease and angina because it can harm arteries. People who experience chronic stable angina may have increased risk of unstable angina. Diabetes also increases the risk of coronary artery disease. High cholesterol may lead to narrowing of the arteries that allow blood to flow to the heart, increasing the risk of angina.

Severe anemia, in which there are not enough red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body, can also result in unstable angina.

Continue Learning about Angina

Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
Angina Pectoris (Chest Pain)
What is angina pectoris? Angina is temporary pain or discomfort in the chest that occurs when not enough oxygen-carrying blood reaches your heart musc...
What triggers angina?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Common angina triggers include: Walking briskly outside on a cold, windy, or humid dayHurrying wit...
When should I call my doctor if I have angina?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
If you have angina, then call your doctor if: Your skin is itchy or you get a rash. Your angina is ...
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?
Is Angina Related to Heart Attacks?